Saturday, March 14, 2009

Activity that I tried, but was not as successful as I hoped.

I wrote an activity sheet for the students to complete. They had to ask a partner if they had certain characteristics. They would write down the response. I found our that my directions were not as clear as I hoped and I did not give them an example. Maybe a third of the students did it correctly. I think it was a good activity I just found out that I needed to make my instructions clearer. You have to treat them like little children whenever instructions are given and I did not know that.

1 comment:

  1. Clear directions are essential at ever level. Some students don’t need as much direction and are comfortable just jumping into something new while others seem to want ever step outlined for them. I know even as a graduate student that sometimes I feel frustrated if the expectations and purpose of an activity are not clear to me. In teaching I have found that my first class of the day is unfortunately what I call my "guinea pig" class (I'm sure they would love to know that's what I call them :)). If something doesn't go well I revise it and try a different approach with the next class.

    ReplyDelete